Fracking is a dangerous way of getting oil and gas and a shortsighted energy strategy. It’s poisoning the air and water and anecdotal evidence indicates it is leading to health problems in the communities affected.
Here is a list of the reasons why an anti-fracking NGO in New York is campaigning:
1. Water contamination. Even a small accident could permanently contaminate a drinking water supply.
2. Air Pollution: Heavy power equipment and vehicle exhaust makes polluted air over a wide geograhical area a certainty with fracking.
3. Fracking fluid contains toxic chemicals, including many compounds linked to cancer, birth defects and other serious health problems.
4. Wastewater can bring up dangerous radioactive particles that have been buried underground for millions of years.
5. Safe disposal of radioactive wastewater is unachievable. Water processing facilities cannot handle this highly toxic fluid.
6. Fracking operations are exempt from the federal Safe Drinking Water Act, the Clean Air Act and the Clean Water Act. Why?
7. Cleanup of spills and accidents is often the legal responsibility of landowners, not fracking companies.
8. Taxpayers will foot the bill for the roads, police, EMTs and other infrastructure fracking companies will utilize.
9. Agriculture and tourism are the foundation of NY’s upstate economy. Industrializing the state with tens of thousands of gas wells will negatively impact these important economic engines.
10. New York politicians are taking millions in campaign contributions from oil and gas companies who want their approval.
Check out the Gasland Movie site.